The Associated Press, New York, N.Y.
News Producer, Nerve Center, November 2012 – Present
- Write and publish posts to AP’s Facebook (approx. 390,000 likes), Twitter (8 million+ followers) and Google Plus accounts; optimizing post language and scheduling for maximum spread and stickiness.
- Monitor and relay information about trending topics to writers, desk editors and management.
- Curate stories and photo galleries for AP’s mobile applications.
- Find, vet and secure permission for user-generated content (photos, video, social media posts).
- Proofread and troubleshoot problems with AP content on the wire for internal and external consumers.
- Interpret social media metrics using Google Analytics and Facebook Insights.
- Led working group to develop hyperlinking formats and best practices for AP text stories.
International Women’s Media Foundation, Uganda and Rwanda
African Great Lakes Reporting Initiative Fellow, February 2015
- Selected as one of six journalists from around the world to participate in the IWMF’s inaugural research and reporting program in Rwanda.
- Spent one week doing hostile environment training with other fellows in Uganda.
- Spent one week in Rwanda, researching how the country was presenting genocide memorial sites to outsiders, the country’s first female competitive cyclist, and other topics related to economic development and women’s role in society.
The In America blog, CNN.com, Atlanta, Ga./Berea, Ohio.
Full-time Freelance Writer/Producer, October 2011 – May 2012
- Wrote original news and feature stories which collectively garnered more than 3.5 million views over seven months. Wrote five of the blog’s top 15 posts of all time.
- Shaped coverage and helped guide tone for new blog, com/inamerica, about the ways Americans define themselves, on topics including race, ethnicity, gender, generation, class, sexuality, disability status, etc.
- Monitored the news for possible “In America” angles; adapted CNN TV and CNN.com content to suit the In America blog; cooperated with other CNN.com sections to share content and resources.
- Selected and built multimedia features to add depth to online storytelling.
- Interacted with our audience through online comments, Twitter and Facebook.
Self-Employed, Bonn, Germany and Berea, Ohio
Freelance Editor and Writer, July 2010 – October 2011
- Edited and proofread academic journal articles and professional portfolio documents; transcribed interviews for doctoral students.
Deutsche Welle, Bonn, Germany
Writer, Editor, Multimedia Journalist, August 2009– July 2010
- Produced global online, audio and photographic content for DW’s English news website and radio programs on tight deadlines for an international audience.
- Updated and edited site homepage and topical pages with photos, infographic features, audio and video stories, articles, links and interactive quizzes or games using the content management system.
- Translated German content, and condensed and edited content supplied by correspondents, including non-native English speakers.
Der Spiegel Online International, Berlin, Germany
Fulbright Journalist, March – June 2009
- Produced interactive features and articles for Der Spiegel’s English website.
- Translated German content into English; copy-edited English content for grammar, spelling, accuracy and readability.
The Boston Globe, Framingham, Mass.
Staff Reporter, November 2004 – June 2008
- Covered municipal government, immigrant communities, and cultural life in Boston’s western suburbs.
- Wrote main sheet stories and regular content for twice-weekly regional section and wrote investigative stories about nepotism and mismanagement in a local police department. Also wrote posts for the Globe West Updates blog.
The Associated Press, Kansas City/St. Louis, Mo.
Reporter, January – October 2004
- Wrote features, breaking news and business stories, and covered 2004 presidential campaign visits.
- Wrote news and sports broadcast items and edited stories for publication.
- Social Media: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, SocialFlow, Geofeedia, SAMDesk.io, Storify, Google Analytics, Card Kit, user-generated content verification and authentication
- Blogging: Content Management Systems, Blogger, WordPress, Intermediate HTML, SEO
- Multimedia: Digital Photography, Radio Voicing and Production, Audio Editing, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Audacity, DALET, Flash, Picasa, Google Docs
- Languages: Native English, proficient in AP Style, fluent in German and conversational in Spanish
Fulbright Young American Journalist Grantee, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität, Frankfurt, Germany, 2008-2009
- One of six American journalists chosen to participate in a yearlong academic and professional exchange. Attended classes relevant to my research project on multiculturalism in Germany.
- Served as guest speaker for German audiences on topics such as racial diversity in the United States, the impact of race on the 2008 U.S. presidential elections and online journalism’s impact on print media.
Bachelor of Science in Journalism, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, June 2003
- Major: News Writing and Editing sequence. Degree conferred cum laude.
- Specializations: German and Political Science. Certificate: European Studies.